Kerstin Thompson is the director of Kerstin Thompson Architects, a large Melbourne-based practice established in 1994. KTA works across a variety of projects spanning architecture, interiors, landscape and urban design – with a focus on strong, clear design ideas and buildings that forge connections with their surroundings.
In this episode, we discussed:
- How the practice made the transition from small residential projects to their first public buildings.
- The importance of Kerstin’s time teaching architecture and how it helped her hone her communication skills.
- The challenges of growth and how Kerstin balances her time working on projects as well as the demands running a 45-person practice.
- How she is able to remove herself as a bottleneck in the design process while ensuring the firm’s work is strong and clear.
- Her thoughts on the importance of being a generalist practice rather than getting pigeonholed.
- How Kerstin’s writing and public speaking help her to attract likeminded clients.
- Why it’s critical to be an advocate for architecture whenever you get the chance.
If you’d like to learn more about Kerstin and the work of Kerstin Thompson Architects, you can visit kerstinthompson.com.
Thanks for reading. Dave Sharp is a marketing coach for architects who want to attract more (and better) clients. Click here to learn more about my marketing coaching services and book a consultation.