Cassie Hansen is the editor of Artichoke Magazine—Australia’s most respected interior architecture and design magazine.
Artichoke covers hospitality, retail, exhibition and workplace interior design projects and the architects and designers behind them. Cassie is best person to speak to when it comes to understanding how print journalism works, and what you can do to improve your chances of seeing your work in a print magazine.
In this episode, we discussed:
- How an editor plans out magazines throughout the year, how lead times work, and the best time to approach them about your projects.
- What exclusivity means for architecture publications, the rules you need to follow, and why you should be careful when selecting publications to contact.
- How editors like Cassie find new projects, and why it’s important to reach out to them and be proactive—rather than sitting back and waiting for them to approach you.
- What you should (and shouldn’t) send an editor to submit your new project.
- Do you need a media kit? And what should you put in there?
- Common mistakes architects make that hurt their chances of getting published.
- How to find photographers and writers than will help you to get more media.
- Why awards programs are an important consideration in your marketing.
If you’d like to learn more about me, Dave Sharp, you can visit vanityprojects.com to check out my blog, join over 5000 other architects on my email list, or learn more about my marketing coaching services for architects and book a 20-minute call to discuss your marketing situation.